Thursday, March 11, 2010

Christmas Tree Oops

Sometime when I was in High school, my mom decided we needed to buy a real tree for Christmas. We had always had fake trees but for some reason she thought it was necessary that while I was in High school that it was very important to have a live tree. I remember we went down to the local Target and bought the tree. We had a AMC Concord and had to put the tree in the trunk which of course didn't fit properly, so it was tied down with the trunk lid just barely covering it. We made it almost all the way home. We had just taken a corner onto our home street when the trunk lid went flying open. I was in the back seat when my mom shouted for me to make sure the tree was still in the trunk. She hadn't stopped the car yet but slowed down to a crawl seeing we were feet away from the drive way.
I wasn't paying too much attention seeing I was diverted by the chaos going on behind me. I think she meant to just look out the back window and peer through the gap between the trunk lid and the car body but me being me, I flew open the back door and stepped out not even thinking that the car was still rolling. The tree was still there but as I looked, the rear tire clipped my heal and proceeded to roll right over my foot. In the same instant my mom slammed on the breaks and the tire stopped on top of heal. I wasn't screaming but I asked in a calm voice for her to move the car, that it was on top of my foot. My mom, not comprehending what was happening just said "Oh". She threw the car in reverse and my foot was free. Once back inside the car, we dropped the tree off and raced to urgent care. I don't remember much about this part but I do remember when the doctor said that I would have to have my jeans cut to get them off, that I was mortified. I remember my mom saying, well if you want to spare your jeans then we'll have to leave before they fix you (she was teasing of course) but me being a teen I was like, ok. She she grabbed the end of the gurny and started to wheel me and that make me freak even more. She just laughed. She had no intenstion of taking me out but just wanted to lighten the mood.
After all these years, I still have a peperoni size scar on the side of my heel where the tire squished me. I never did break anything but the skin got compressed and formed a perfectly round wound. Weird huh?
Toot

No comments:

Post a Comment