Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Meeting my hubby

Well I thought I'd skip way ahead and talk about my hubby for a bit. I met him when he and I were setting up a sporting goods store. We both worked there part time. I was in the camping/climbing department. He was in the general athletics area. The store hadn't opened yet and we were still setting up our respective departments. I had finished my tasks early and we told to go help our the athletics department. They were working on setting up home gym equipment. I went over to the department and asked what I could do to help. There was this muscular man with a really bad hair cut, who handed me a can of hairspray and said I could start putting the foam protection on the parts that needed it. I guess hairspray gives the foam some slickness when you slid it on and then dries quickly to help adhere it? Anywho, I did this for a few hours and chatted him up. I don't remember much more of that day but my best friend in the world says that she remembers me coming home and calling her to tell her about my day. She says I told her I met a guy at work and that I could totally see myself marrying him. Which shocked her because for all intensive purposes, I was dead set on moving to Canada to become a hermit, LOL. Not that I'm not that attractive, I just had a clear idea of where my life was headed and the path I was on. I did not want anything to do with marriage. I came from a broken home and marriage was not my idea of a great future.
So as time went on, the guy in the athletics department became fast friends with another guy in the camping department. He was always hanging around our area, which was a big no no. I think we set up the store and were ready for business in August or September. By that Christmas, things with my regular boyfriend were starting to cool, in fact on this particular day, I think we even had a fight. The athletics man came over to me in my department and asked if I knew of any good places to find Christmas gifts. When I was younger, I had worked at a music box store and there was one in the mall. Not knowing who he needed gifts for, I suggested the music box store, figuring it would at least be a reasonable offer as a solution. He nodded and said thanks. A few hours later, I saw the athletics guy again in the store. He had tons of bags in his hand and all from the music box store. He had bought his entire family music boxes based only on my suggestion. I was in utter shock! He then said to me "Thanks so much for the suggestion. I got all my shopping done." I think I was still in amazement. I don't remember saying anything back but I know I turned and was straightening some clips when he said "So wanna go out to a movie or something, just as a thank you." and my classic reply was "Sure, I don't have anything better to do."
That is a true story and we still joke about it to this day!
Well we did go on that date which was funny in itself. We dated for the next two years and eventually got married. We've now been married for 13 years this May. Wow time flies!!!!
Toot

No comments:

Post a Comment