Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hold Up

Ok so I thought I'd share a memory about being held up in an AM-PM. I'm not sure how old I was but I was probably 8 or 9 years old. We lived in a very poor neighborhood that was filled with immigrants and college students. Although these were litterly like "The Projects" I look back with real fondness for our simple life. Things were tight but I never really knew that they were. I had tons of friends and life was an adventure.
At the end of our apartment row, about a mile away was an AM-PM mini market. We used to always go there for whatelse....candy! All the neighborhood rug rats would gather up what little coins we could and we'd all make the trek down. One afternoon, I was watching or hanging with a much younger child (John) who I sort of took under my wing. We decided to make the trek to the market and pick up a few pieces of candy for the afternoon to kill some time. Everything was totally normal and we chit chatted as we walked. We came upon the market and went inside as normal. The candy aisle was fairly close to the door. We knew exactly where to go. Without a second thought, we opened the door and made a "b" line to the candy. John was in front of me. As he darted in and down the aisle, I walked straight into a black shiny gun.
I don't remember much of the man himself but I do remember that gun. The man behind the counter distracted the shooter and he waved me with the gun to go stand next to the child I came in with. John was crouched down rifling through the candy on the lowest shelf. I crouched down in front of him. It was soon over and no one got hurt that I know of but I do remember I was supposed to pick up some milk also. I remember going across the street to a fruit stand and using the pay phone. I remember calling my mom to tell her I didn't get the milk. She asked why not and all I remember telling her is I couldn't get the milk because there were cops everywhere and a guy pointed a gun at me.
At this point, I don't remember much more but my mother sure loves to go into her expletives about this, LOL.
Hope you enjoyed this little ditty
Toot

No comments:

Post a Comment